The Away Fan Experience
Having enjoyed a great afternoon out at Brighton on Saturday, it got me thinking.....The hospitality shown by them was first class, posters thanking the fans for travelling 633 miles, guest ales from the away fans region, an attempt (all be it ill fated) at making parmos, free travel by bus or train to the stadium from the local area even applause from the home fans for the away attendance figure. The bars stayed open after the game so that fans could mingle, compared with most away experiences, we were all very well looked after.
Now I've never been in the away end at The Riverside, has anyone got any idea how we treat the away fans, do we look after them or resent their presence?
At the end of the day, football is a commercial enterprise and it's all about bums on seats, the away pound is as good as the home pound, how do we as a club fare?
oneboro predictions league 14/15 round 9
here are saturdays fixtures, the games are disappearing thick and fast and with this being the quarter marker for the season so are some predicters hopes and dreams...
boro-unger v stephenmilne
Misterweed v Neverbefore
Barticus v stubbzy69
oslo syd v legend misfit
Treknut v mctom123
Ollie10 v Maccarone
Tellerion v Foggansflying
Somerset Boro v Donnysmog
Borodane v motormouth
workington v Kier
raf smog v BoroInBishop
Cstephenson01 v Bnflickingchamp
Smogsterking v Bugrit
Vectorboro v Marvin
boroboy84 v Cornishboroboy
boro86 v cowman4boro
prowler v Southern Smog
tho_e v Jonatk1
Boroboy1980 v Marz
batmalan v weekly average
2plus2 v hoyteforleftback
jamesp v MRe
Weasel v OldManGravz
cyprusboro v division 2 average
division 3 average v Welshy
Jesus v Welly1972
division 1 average v Aphex_Boro
xathras v DanfromDownsouth
Nawoo v downsouth
and here are the fixtures....
Birmingham V Bournemouth
Bolton V Brentford
Brighton V Rotherham
Derby V Wigan
Ipswich V Huddersfield
Leeds V Wolves
M'boro V Watford (boro scorer)
Nottm Forest V Blackburn
Reading V Blackpool
Sheff Wed V Norwich
pleae remember to vote on the poll. deadline is Saturday 25/10/14 3PM
best of luck
opinion poll please reply
it seems that the new league table format isn't to everyones liking so on that note i need to see how many prefer seeing the table without having to click the link.
to make it easier for me and less time consuming if the majority of people prefer seeing the table on the thread we will have to see all future predictions given in a set format.
this will be the format that ALL predictions will have to be given in
H Birmingham v Bolton
H Bournemouth v Charlton
D Brighton v M'boro (No Scorer)
D Fulham v Norwich
H Huddersfield v Blackpool
H Ipswich v Blackburn
D Millwall v Wolves
A Reading v Derby
D Sheff Wed v Watford
H Wigan v Brentford
if they are added in any other way they will NOT be accepted.
please bear this in mind when voting.
oneboro predictions league 14/15 round 8 results
another great win for the boro as they are now 7 games undefeated. it seems the international break did nothing to stop the momentum, but who did it effect in the oneboro PL?
lets find out...
Misterweed 4 - 5 boro-unger
stephenmilne 5 - 4 Barticus
Neverbefore 4 - 4 oslo syd
stubbzy69 5 - 5 Treknut
legend misfit 4 - 5 Ollie10
mctom123 5 - 3 Tellerion
Maccarone 2 - 4 Somerset Boro
Borodane 6 - 0 Foggansflying
Donnysmog 3 - 3 workington
motormouth 4 - 3 Kier
BoroInBishop 4 - 0 Cstephenson01
raf smog 5 - 3 Smogsterking
Bnflickingchamp 3 - 0 Vectorboro
Bugrit 4 - 4 boroboy84
Marvin 0 - 4 boro86
Cornishboroboy 0 - 6 prowler
cowman4boro 3 - 5 tho_e
Southern Smog 4 - 1 Boroboy1980
Jonatk1 0 - 3 batmalan
Marz 2 - 3 weekly average
hoyteforleftback 0 - 5 jamesp
2plus2 0 - 0 Weasel
MRe 0 - 4 cyprusboro
OldManGravz 6 - 2 division 3 average
division 2 average 3 - 0 Jesus
Welshy 0 - 4 division 1 average
Welly1972 3 - 5 xathras
Aphex_Boro 3 - 3 Nawoo
DanfromDownsouth 2 - 3 downsouth
Boro v Wolves (A)
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Middlesbrough
Tuesday 21st October
Sky Bet Championship
After a well fought win against Brighton on Saturday we can see this squad has character. Now we've got two tough back to back games with possible fellow promotion contenders in Wolves and Watford. Damia, Carayol and Williams the only outs for this game so far, which is a positive. These two games are going to show us how good we really are and if we're ready for a promotion push campaign.
Having recently been promoted from League 1 you could argue that Wolves are flying in the league, they're currently sat in 7th just outside the playoffs but only 3 points behind us. We have a much better goal difference however so unless they battered us they wouldn't jump above us. Kenny Jackett will be fancying a top 10 finish and hoping to win back to back promotions so this game is just as important to them.
Possible Key Matchups:
Sako vs Fredericks
No doubt that Sako is Wolves best player and can cause problems to any defender on his day, he already has 6 league goals for Wolves so he is their main goal threat. Fredericks has really impressed but he's going to have his toughest opponent yet in the championship, maybe Nsue starting over Adomah could be a possibility due to tracking back?
Bathh vs Vossen
Bathh is an absolute solid defender and I can really see Vossen starting this game on Tuesday, he's looked sharp and I really think he's due a goal. If not him starting then probably Bamford but I hope it'll be Jelle. Bathh is Wolves main defender at the moment with Roger Johnson out injured.
McDonald vs Clayton
McDonald was Wolves runner up player of the season behind Sako last season and he really is crucial to them in the centre of midfield, he creates chances and gets backwards so the battle between him and Edwards and Clayton and Leadbitter will be crucial. Everyone knows what Adam does for us and Wolves have a strong midfield so I think we'll need a performance from him and Grant.
1. What would be your starting lineup for this game?
2. Attendance on Saturday if we win/draw?
3. Who do you think will have the biggest impact?
4. Would you rather face 11 actual Wolves or 11 Bakary Sako's?
5. Who has the best hair in the Boro squad?
6. Ledesma somewhere in the squad?
Boro V Brighton (A) 2-1
Brighton V Middlesbrough
Taking over from weasel for this one, his computer is broken.
After a 2 week international break, Boro are finally back in league action with a long trip away to Brighton. Start of a very tough run of games which will really test our squad. Bit of news from the international break;
- Jelle Vossen scored his first Boro goal in a 2-2 draw with Sunderland on Thursday
- Gibson and Bamford helped England under 21s reach the Euro 2015 Championships with a 4-2 aggregate win over Croatia
- Boro look set to complete the signing of Milos Veljkovic from Spurs on a 3 month loan deal
- Northern echo reported that Rhys Williams could be back by the end of November
After a minor blip against Blackpool we were back to winning ways with a fairly routine 2-0 win over Fulham last Saturday. This extended our unbeaten run to 7 games. The international break came at a good time for us, our squad was starting to be stretched with a virus also spreading among the squad. Omerou, Gibson and Bamford have all been away on international duty this week with no new injuries reported. The only injury worries for this game look to be long term absentees Williams, Damia and Carayol.
This is the first game in some very tough fixtures coming up which will really test how good our squad is and if we can challenge for promotion.
Last 5 games
04/10 Boro 2-0 Fulham
30/09 Boro 1-1 Blackpool
27/09 Charlton 0-0 Boro
20/09 Boro 4-0 Brentford
16/09 Cardiff 0-1 Boro
Brighton have had a slow start to the season under new boss Sami Hyypiä with 11 points from 11 games and currently sit 19th in the championship, 9 points behind Boro. They have started to improve lately however with good draws away at Nottingham Forest and Watford. They currently have ex Boro left back Joe Bennett on loan from Villa.
Last 5 games
04/10 Watford 1-1 Brighton
30/09 Brighton 1-1 Cardiff
27/09 Notts Forest 0-0 Brighton
20/09 Brighton 0-0 Blackpool
16/09 Ipswich 2-0 Brighton
View from the opposition
Who do you see as Boros biggest threat?
- Adam Clayton. Played really well againts Liverpool in the cup for you and has the ability to dictate your play.
- Adomah and Clayton, maybe Garcia Martinez and Vossen -- they have good records -- but don't know how they've settled -- while Leadbitter is also banging them in
- You've bought really well this season. I believe that we were looking at Clayton and Vossen ourselves.
- Yanic Wildschut from the bench
- Don't know too much about your players but I would guess Vossen based on the reputation.
- I think Adomah will provide Bennett a real test on Saturday.
Who is Brightons biggest threat?
- we have plenty of creative threats and will craft a number of opportunities but, as yet, none of our forward players are scoring
- T'shearer (Joao Texieria). When he's on form he can be a real threat agaisnt teams as long as he doesnt try and take on too many players.
- Bruno (right back). This is by default as the threats are not here this season
- Anyone one from goalkeeper, defence and midfield can win the game unfortunately our strikers couldn't score in a brothel.
- Whilst I'd like to say Teixeira is our biggest threat, but I'll probably go with Gary Gardner.
- 2-2 draw. Just a feeling ive got.
- see above: we'll batter you, but you'll get one on the break (as you did last season, very well)
- I don't think that there will be much between the teams on Saturday which might make it quite a cagey affair. I'd suggest a 1-1 would be a decent bet, our strikers don't worry much about scoring so I'll put Greer up as our scorer, Clayton will get your one.
- 1-3 after Albion go 1-0 up
- Close but I think with the improvement we are seeing home win just.
- The score I think will be 3-1 M'boro.
How is your season going?
- Poor start tp the season so far agsint expectations, but with a lot of changes in the summer we need a bit more time to gel but I think we have the quality.
- see above: a new manager, eleven new players, a tweaked system makes for more entertaining football but, without taking the many chances we create, it's not going too well. If the forwards start scoring, then it will go a lot better
- A new manager (again) has meant a new system (again) and a slow start (again)...hopefully we'll kick on a bit now the players know what the hell it is they are supposed to be doing.
- Insufficient points and goals: danger of the season to be very ordinary
- Awful start but the last month or so it is starting to click so should start to climb the table but probably missed any change of a third playoff.
Thoughts on Joe Bennett?
- You mean Gorden Bennett??! Jokes. He has been very positive and gets forward alot. He just needs to remember to get back.
- very impressed by him, especially his work rate and attacking threat. That said, apart from positionally, he hasn't been exposed defensively
- Joe is doing alright, one of our most effective attackers(along with Bruno, Greer and Dunk!!!)
- Adequate but hasn't been tested yet
With an almost fully fit squad who do we leave out now? Vossen should be approaching full fitness again so it would be nice to see him start. Apart from that I think the team will be the same one that started against Fulham.
A bit attacking away from home but with the run were on its the kind of game we should be looking to win. Harsh on Gibson to be left out but Ayala has been fantastic this season and also Omerou is one of the best in this league. Will be a strong bench again with Tomlin or Bamford to bring on if we need a goal.
2-1 Boro (Kike, Vossen)
Huge Huge favour needed
Anyone got a season ticket and not using it for Rotherham could I use your ST for an away ticket? 3 of us are going and we only have 2 season tickets. have a bad feeling they will sell out before general sale. Its just the membership number I think we need.