oneBoro Forum

Ben Gibson - Profile

Ben Gibson

DOB – 15/1/93

Squad Number - 34

Debut – vs. Coventry (sub) 25/4/11

gibson.jpg

Ben is a 3rd year in the academy and is in his 2nd year as a professional football having been handed a pro deal at the end of his 1st year at the club.

Made his debut for the Middlesbrough first team as a substitute for the injured Andrew Davies against Coventry and performed well.

Spent the earlier part of the 2011/12 season on loan at struggling Plymouth Argyle making 15 starts and 1 sub appearance. (Ben picked up 4 bookings and was sent off 1 time during his loan spell)

In Feb 2012 he joined York City of the Blue Square Premier League on loan till the end of the season.

A member of the 2010 England U17 squad that won the European championships Ben has progressed well through the age groups and until recently was part of the U19 set up.

Nephew of current Middlesbrough chairman Steve.

Personal thoughts

He has done well at the club because he is a fantastic footballer not because he is the nephew of the chairman.

A left footed centre back that can play left back he has shone in the U18s and then the reserves. Likes to move the ball from one side of the field to the other, showing great vision and long passing skills.

Needs experience and he will get that on loan whilst the first team try and gain promotion. His career in the first team may be advanced depending on the likes of McManus, Bates and Williams moving on.

I find Gibson very interesting. He's a defender who always plays football.

That means he has time to play football. Only the best people have time and he always has time.

I've never seen him ruffled not have I seen him panic

His potential is very good. Don't be too surprised to see him fringing the first team soon(ish)

Is he not a bit on the thin side with the potential to be bullied by big centre forwards? Fair enough the only time i have ever seen him play was when he made his first team debut last season, but i thought he was a bit light weight.

Vin I can see your point. It is possible, certainly.

However, it would be natural if he put on a bit of bulk over the next couple of years. The balance is between the increasing of bulk and the reduction in athleticism. As long as he can play football and allied to the natural bulking it is likely that he won't have too many problems