oneBoro Forum

Lewis Sirrell - Profile

Lewis Sirrell

DOB – 31/10/93

Squad Number -

Debut –

Siz-1.jpg

© Copyright Christopher L. Powlay - All rights reserved.

2nd year scholar and often the captain of the U18 team like a lot of his fellow 2nd year scholars has really performed to a higher level than the previous season.

Started out in the U18s as a flying winger, as his time in the academy has progressed he has moved further back on the football field. This season he has played more as a left sided centre back and a left back.

Has the height to play comfortably at the middle of the defence and the side has often struggled aerially when he hasn’t been on the field. (Sheffield Wednesday scored whilst he was off the field for treatment, and Leeds scored whilst he was recovering from having his nose broke by a flying elbow!)

When playing on the left side he has no fear of getting forward and supporting the player ahead of him by over lapping and offering himself for a pass.

Personal thoughts

Really has come on leaps and bounds this season, loves to get forward and attack, has a great left foot and offers attacking options from his crossing and also from his ability at free kicks.

Sometimes needs a shout to get back and has the odd lapse of position but that’s nothing new for an attacking player getting used to playing further back on the pitch.

Is the cousin of fellow 2nd year scholar Matthew Waters.

He seems very mature and aware when going forward and has a very good left peg. The first goal at Stoke this year from a short corner was excellent and well worked.

Yes I've seen Jacko remind him that he was not in the right place too. We were playing 3 at the back that day mind so he may have thought his positioning was different to be fair.

Whilst I like him as a player I do wonder if he is quite big enough for a centre back. Time will tell

i thought he was very good last night v guisboro strong and very fast with good moves forward as well as good defending skills

• 4 weeks later...

not a bad result for him considering he has been moved position wise a lot this season i would like to see him more left winger pushing forward than defending but now i think maybe a third year is best he can hope for but how much foorball will they get next season

Personally i think its hard to see where he fits really well. He is good in the positions ive seen him, left mid, left back and centre half. But he doesnt excell in any of them.

As a midfielder he needs to track back and be aware of whats going on around him.

As a left back he needs to get back and be aware of what the midfielder ahead of him is doing.

As a centre back (which i think he plays the best) he needs to lift his head up as he moves forward. Bringing the ball out of the defense is a great talent that he has. Just needs to make the easier pass sometimes over the long raking ball that doesnt always get there.

All said, he has had an outstanding 2nd year.

• 1 month later...

Yeh Tbh I cant disa gree with what you have said but if they played him lkeft mid maybe he could get forward more and with his fine striking power get goals or put him centre back and leave him there to learn