oneBoro Forum

u 18 v Sheff. Wd

It was a lovely day in Sheffield with a good pitch at Sheffield Wednesdays training ground at Middlewood.

The Boro got beat 2-5 and were 0-4 down at one stage. I did not recognise all of the players so I think we must assume that it was a young and inexperienced side. The team looked something like the following

Coddington

Roberts - Weledji - Okosieme - Sirrell

Boagey - Maloney - Morris - ??? - ???

Garrity

The first goal was after only 5 minutes when a corner was not properly clear and the ball fell rather fortunately to one of Wednesdays players about 8 yards from goal. The keeper had no chance.

The second about 20 mutes later was a good strike form outside the area when again a goalmouth mele was not properly cleared and it was almost saved but hit one post bounced along the line before hitting the other post and becoming defintely over the line

Half time was reached only 0-2 behind which was fortunate as the full backs were both clearly beaten by pacey wingmen but little was to come from this quarter. It was almost as if the Wednesday lads did not realise the advantage they had.

The owls third goal was a cracking shot from the edge of the penalty box and was again unstoppable

The fourth was to cause a goal keepers reaction as the defence was torn apart and whilst the save was top notch he could not hold the ball and it was the approaching Wednesday forward who had plenty of time and space to pick his spot.

Changes were then made which saw Gilpin come onto shore up the left side of the defence, moving Sirrell to the left wing where he was much more effective and even managed to score the second goal about 5 minutes from the end.

Rivers came on on was his usual effective self and was unfortunate to not score as a cracking volley just cleared the crossbar.

When the changes were being made it became clear we were a more capable side than they had shown and they were at their most effective when Wednesday started to blow a bit. Was it McGlade who joined Garrity upfront and score our first goal ?

Man of the match ? Suprisingly they were few bad performances despite the result. The two central defenders are certainly in with a shout as are Morris and Maloney and you really can take your pick. Had Gilpin played the whole game he would undoubtedly have joined the list as he really did not put a foot wrong and was the man who steadied the ship quite dramatically

If I've not given anyone the credit they deserve then I can only apologise and put it down to poor eyesight and senility

Thanks Powlay - Griffiths did ok but seemed in awe of Morris and was definitely nervous to start with. If in doubt pass to Morris seemed to be the motto. Maybe its his first step up

McGlade I've seen before( Stoke ?) sorry young man

Garrity is an interesting character. He is big quick and awkward and better than he looks to be. He could have scored both goals. He makes the life of the opposing centre back difficult but is not as accurate in some of his work as I would like

The first Boro goal was by Fewster who was one of the fresh legs brought on towards the end of the game. I'd not seen him before but he looked swift and attacked the defence with enthusiasm and some agressive running

Thanks Powlay - Griffiths did ok but seemed in awe of Morris and was definitely nervous to start with. If in doubt pass to Morris seemed to be the motto. Maybe its his first step up

McGlade I've seen before( Stoke ?) sorry young man

Garrity is an interesting character. He is big quick and awkward and better than he looks to be. He could have scored both goals. He makes the life of the opposing centre back difficult but is not as accurate in some of his work as I would like

Garrity is a first year scholar and never played at academy before he knows tech not the best as he's just played club and county football but with hard work and the right attitude along with best coaching at youth level who knows

Toon Army you are right in that Garrity is a first year scholar I must admit that I had not realised that. In which case he is improving

He is definitely getting smarter as his close quarters work is a lot more subtle than it used to be. However when for example he has slipped the ball sideways through the centre back's legs he is a big lad and cannot get through to the ball easily which means that the hard work is for nothing.

He is a good header of a ball and flicks it around quite well to bring others into play. Compare this with Curtis, for example, who manages this skill with much more difficulty. I suspect that one is able to do it with his eyes open and the other has his eyes closed.

It is very often the diffence between tacklers at Rugby and why tackles from the side are more effective as it is easier to keep the eyes open for longer

funny old world

Toon Army you are right in that Garrity is a first year scholar I must admit that I had not realised that. In which case he is improving

He is definitely getting smarter as his close quarters work is a lot more subtle than it used to be. However when for example he has slipped the ball sideways through the centre back's legs he is a big lad and cannot get through to the ball easily which means that the hard work is for nothing.

He is a good header of a ball and flicks it around quite well to bring others into play. Compare this with Curtis, for example, who manages this skill with much more difficulty. I suspect that one is able to do it with his eyes open and the other has his eyes closed.

It is very often the diffence between tacklers at Rugby and why tackles from the side are more effective as it is easier to keep the eyes open for longer

funny old world

Football team is like a jigsaw my friend it takes all bits a pieces to make a picture and it all about how effective you are and how willing you are to work hard at it and trust me he is :) thanks for your honest opinion mate

funny old world

Football team is like a jigsaw my friend it takes all bits a pieces to make a picture and it all about how effective you are and how willing you are to work hard at it and trust me he is :) thanks for your honest opinion mate

you are correct there jigsaw it is and everyone plays a part i love garrity tbh but he is on first yr so lets take it easy and watch him develop good luck