oneBoro Forum

Flags lowered at thr Riverside for a Legend.

Rolando Ugolini: Legendary Boro keeper passes away at the age of 89.

Sad news, seems He followed Boro till the end God bless him.

Quote from his wife

His widow, Irene, said her husband closely followed the club’s fortunes closely and had told her about Boro’s 3-1 win over Birmingham City on Tuesday night.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rolando-ugolini-legendary-boro-keeper-6952443#.U0fe9kwL0kE.twitter

“Middlesbrough was Rolando’s club,” she said.

R.I.P Ronaldo"

Thoughts & prayers for you & your family.

That's sad.

My grandad would often compare current Boro keepers to Ugolini, his pronunciation of his name was terrible, but he always eulogised over him.

Rest In Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that I am one of a small minority who actually saw him play.

Undoubtedly one of the better keepers that have been regulars at Boro. Was he better than Pears? ....... possibly, maybe even probably - Jim Platt ? now that's a tricky one and the answer is maybe not. Schwarzer was also one of our better keepers and I always felt safe with these guys in goal

Ugolini however was from an era when goalkeepers had to be much stronger. Shoulder charging a goalie into the net was perfectly acceptable in his day. His stories of battles with Trevor Ford, a***st others, is an interesting read

but I never saw Tim Williamson although I'm told he was very good and his appearance record suggests that this is true