oneBoro Forum

The Away Fan Experience

Having enjoyed a great afternoon out at Brighton on Saturday, it got me thinking.....The hospitality shown by them was first class, posters thanking the fans for travelling 633 miles, guest ales from the away fans region, an attempt (all be it ill fated) at making parmos, free travel by bus or train to the stadium from the local area even applause from the home fans for the away attendance figure. The bars stayed open after the game so that fans could mingle, compared with most away experiences, we were all very well looked after.

Now I've never been in the away end at The Riverside, has anyone got any idea how we treat the away fans, do we look after them or resent their presence?

At the end of the day, football is a commercial enterprise and it's all about bums on seats, the away pound is as good as the home pound, how do we as a club fare?

Boro have at least made an effort with the open bar near to the East stand, certainly we mingled and chatted to Birmingham fans but as a comparison to The Amex well a different story all together.

However perhaps it is such an effort to get into The Amex then that could be a reason why Brighton seem so away fan friendly.

However it was greatly appreciated

Dont know the answer to your question BW (Great name by the way!) but agree that Brighton made us feel more welcome than I can recall any team doing in all my years watching the Boro , and we could probably learn a lot from them.

I know we have the family enclosure and are trying to attract in families but I was struck on the park n ride by the large age range / families etc on their buses also , and again there maybe lessons for us as a club there too