oneBoro Forum

Boro v Blackburn (A) 1 -2

Blackburn v

Middlesbrough

Tuesday, March 1

Kick-off: 7.45pm

A bit of holiday sunshine away in Marbella, and suddenly we have two wins in a row and a bit of sunshine lighting up our promotion push. How things change!

The game

This is a crucial match for us - we've built up a good amount of momentum, and here is the first of our games in hand. No one else playing on the night, this is just us and what we can do to put ourselves in a good position.

It won't be easy, though - we needed a late header from Nugent to get a draw against Blackburn not so long ago at our place. So, without further ado...

The opposition

By rights, with a team that's down in 18th spot and having lost their star player to us, you'd think this would be one where we'd be fairly confident of three points. Over the past ten games, Blackburn's form would back that up too, with them 17th on form there, but over the past six they're 11th, not much below us. That 1-1 at our place will give them confidence - but while they won their last home game, 3-2, it was against MK Dons which should give us hope that their defence is vulnerable.

View from the opposition: No match day thread up yet - but here's one of their forums http://www.roverstalk.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=cb62bfef9e635150fa061e4a6fd75433

Not a lot of discussion on either of their forums that I've seen so far, they seem a bit depressed with their season.

The line-up

It's getting tougher and tougher to pick a line-up after the last two matches. Who do you drop? Who hasn't shone in the team at some point in the past two? I thought Forshaw was a little off against Fulham, but he seemed excellent against Cardiff. Ross McCormack credited him and Leadbitter with stifling Fulham too - saying “The hardest part was for the boys to get the ball into the forwards with the two Middlesbrough players screening in front of the defence." Does Clayton get back in?

Nugent and Rhodes are vying for the top spot. Nugent may not have scored against Fulham but he won the penalty and was a constant hassle for their defenders, while Rhodes came on and got a Fulham player sent off pronto. Does Rhodes start against his old team? Or is familiarity a bad thing?

On the right and left, Adomah and Downing are looking certain to retain their places. Ramirez too has been excellent. I have a stray thought that he's going to have a little bit of a rest somewhere in this run with Downing slotting in his place instead, but Adomah's on such a hot streak on the right that you wouldn't want to disturb it by moving him left.

Meanwhile, at the back, if Ayala is fit, does he displace Fry, who has been excellent? My gut says yes, if Ayala is fully fit, but if not, Fry to carry on and Ayala to slot on the bench. Meanwhile, we have the choice of De Laet and Friend at left-back. De Laet was superb against Fulham, with a wonder clearance and involved at the other end of the pitch too.

Tough choices everywhere, my prediction is:

Dimi

De Laet      Ayala       Gibson      Friend

Leadbitter        Clayton

Adomah                                                Downing

Ramirez

Nugent

Talking Points

1. Rhodes knows the Blackburn team inside out - but do they know him inside out too to nullify his threat?

2. What is it about Blackburn that always makes this feel like a grudge match? And not just about three very particular points...

3. How big an impact do you think the Marbella holiday for the players has had? Is that what's put us back on a good run?

4. Would it be harsh on Fry to rest him? Or just accepting he's still young but has put himself in the position of our first choice back-up?

Have at it, folks!

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

it rhodes does not start, i'll be bringing my grade A moaning out. 'karanka the clown' was nothing compared to what will come. :) :)

joking aside we are a team that believes in itself again. i thought we did well against fulham, although watching it again, thanks to that linky. we were cruising for long periods, i dont get why we'd take our foot off the gas like that at only 2-0.

we can improve much more and i think we are getting a head of steam up which will see us go up in the auto's. blackburn will hopefully expect the team that turned out against the a few weeks ago and we'll shock them with another fine performance and convincing win.

Worries me that there is a lot of pressure associated with this game.. Game in hand, winning run finally and blackburn with another point to prove, in front of a home crowd. Its going to be tough. Midflesbrough of old would fluff this chance...thing is we too easily return to old traits. Too close to call but am going to be optimistic with a 3-0 nil boro win

Very tough match all things considered.

We are however much better than Blackburn especially when we turn it on like we have the last couple of games. I think i'd say 3-1 boro, Ramirez FGS.

it rhodes does not start, i'll be bringing my grade A moaning out. 'karanka the clown' was nothing compared to what will come. :) :)

joking aside we are a team that believes in itself again. i thought we did well against fulham, although watching it again, thanks to that linky. we were cruising for long periods, i dont get why we'd take our foot off the gas like that at only 2-0.

we can improve much more and i think we are getting a head of steam up which will see us go up in the auto's. blackburn will hopefully expect the team that turned out against the a few weeks ago and we'll shock them with another fine performance and convincing win.

I know a big win would have been nice but we barely got out of second gear in fairness. Maybe at 2-0 we had one eye on Tuesday so conserved a bit of energy?

Big game this.

I reckon Rhodes will start. If Adomah's on the right, Nsue will be RB. If it's Stuani and AK looks to rotate, it'll be de Laet. Fingers crossed Ayala is fully fit and able to play.

1-2 to the Boro. Rhodes and Stuani to score.

I've sort of given up on trying to second guess AK's team. Nothing would surprise me tbh given that the games are coming thick and fast. What I feel confident about is we have the tools to get the job done and I am pretty sure we are set for another decent run.

--------------------Dimi--------------------

de Laet--Ayala(Fry)---Gibson--Friend

-------Clayton----------Forshaw----------

Adomah------Ramirez---------Downing

----------------Rhodes----------------

Ayala if fit, Fry to keep his place if not.

I think giving de Laet the last few minutes on the right on saturday may have been to look at the balance of having him there. Nsue has racked up more minutes than anyone in recent weeks, and having a quality replacement like de Laet there gives us the option to rest him.

I also think that Clayton back, refreshed is reason enough to give Leadbitter a rest. I know it's up for debate, but I think that Wolves provide a tougher test in midfield than Blackburn do, so I think Grant will be saved for that, without risking the yellow.

Front four pick themselves I think. I imagine Rhodes will start both games this week.

--------------------Dimi--------------------

de Laet--Ayala(Fry)---Gibson--Friend

-------Clayton----------Forshaw----------

Adomah------Ramirez---------Downing

----------------Rhodes----------------

Ayala if fit, Fry to keep his place if not.

I think giving de Laet the last few minutes on the right on saturday may have been to look at the balance of having him there. Nsue has racked up more minutes than anyone in recent weeks, and having a quality replacement like de Laet there gives us the option to rest him.

I also think that Clayton back, refreshed is reason enough to give Leadbitter a rest. I know it's up for debate, but I think that Wolves provide a tougher test in midfield than Blackburn do, so I think Grant will be saved for that, without risking the yellow.

Front four pick themselves I think. I imagine Rhodes will start both games this week.

Not a bad shout that on resting Leadbitter - not convinced AK will, but a good thought!

I think Rhodes will come back into the side with it being his old club.

I tell you what George Friend has a tough job getting back into this side and then trying to keep his place. De Laet has been top class, still can't get over his goal line clearance. It will be harsh to drop Nsue after another good performance.

I think Clayton and Leadbitter will both start. They are AK's first choice pairing. Is it worth Grant picking up a yellow so he misses both Wolves and Rotherham but back for Hull?

Would stick with Adomah/Ramirez/Downing. They've been very good together.

Man if Forshaw is dropped for this it would be absolutely criminal and fly in the face of AK's "If you play well you'll play" thing he likes to go on about.

Couldent that be said about Fry to then? But I dont think anyone would complain if he plays Gibson and Ayala (if he is back). But Fry been good and we won 2 straight so should Ayala realy just walk back into the team? YES I am sure 99,9% will scream.

So you know that "If you play well you'll play" is just bs.......

Man if Forshaw is dropped for this it would be absolutely criminal and fly in the face of AK's "If you play well you'll play" thing he likes to go on about.

But Clayton's arguably been our player of the season, so doesn't he deserve to come back in on that basis? So it makes the decision a really hard one. I'm glad it's not me making it!

But Clayton's arguably been our player of the season, so doesn't he deserve to come back in on that basis? So it makes the decision a really hard one. I'm glad it's not me making it!

Yes, like Ayala been ourbest defender so he will also be back on that basis, doesent matter how well Fry have played ofc Ayala will take back his place :)