oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Watford 0-1

Middlesbrough vs Watford

Date: Sunday 16th October 2016

Kick Off: 13:30

Venue: Riverside

Setting:

Now that the wait for the return of domestic football after the perpetual dullness of the international break is over, Boro must come back strongly. After a difficult start to life in the Prem, Boro have started to look better. A good second half against Spurs and an overall better performance against West Ham should give Boro a platform to build on. Whilst Boro still look a bit shaky at the back and are without enough teeth in the final third, Watford are by no means a team without their flaws and, in their second season in the prem, sit 2 points above Boro. Watford invested wisely in the summer with Pereya being a particular standout. Combined with the striking trio of Deeney, Ighalo and Success, will their offence be too much for Boro to handle?

Recent Form:

Boro: DLLLD

West Ham 1-1 Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough 1-2 Tottenham

Everton 3-1 Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough 1-2 Crystal Palace

West Brom 0-0 Middlesbrough

Watford: DLWWL

Watford 2-2 Bournemouth

Burnley 2-0 Watford

Watford 3-1 Man Utd

West Ham 2-4 Watford

Watford 1-3 ***nal

What do the Bookies say?

Boro win: 5/4

Draw: 9/4

Watford win: 9/4

*As of Wednesday 12th October

The View from the other side:

A thread is yet to go up. The link to their forum is: http://www.wfcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?7-The-Hornets-Nest-Watford-Chat

What I would like to see:

-----------------Valdes-----------------

--Barragan--Chambers--Gibson--Fabio--

-------Foreshaw-------De Roon-------

----Adama----Ramirez----Downing----

-----------------Negredo-----------------

I'd like to see Boro take the game to Watford. We are at home and should utilise the pace of Adama and the technical brilliance of Downing on the wings to stop Watford from attacking as I think that is by far their strongest attribute. Defensively, Watford have looked very shaky at times and if we can start hemming them in, chances (and hopefully goals) will come. I thought the duo of Foreshaw and De Roon was fantastic against West Ham as they compliment each other perfectly; De Roon breaks up play and simply plays the ball short allowing Foreshaw to dictate play. Both players understand their roles and more importantly their limitations perfectly. I think Friend has been decent enough so far this season and has the second most interceptions of any player in the Prem but it is when his diving in doesn't result in the ball that worries me; there have been far too many chances created by the opposition from these circumstances. I'd like to see what Fabio can offer in the role and I think he'd be more solid all round and against a team that doesn't have big men up front, Friend's height is less of an advantage. Individually, Watford give away a lot of fouls so i'd like to see Negredo up front to take advantage of the dead ball situations.

Prediction:

I'm voting slightly with my head here and going for a Boro 2-1 victory with the goals coming from Negredo and Foreshaw.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Can't see us beating a good watford side.

1-1 draw

They can be good when they want, but they weren't very good at Burnley, I didn't think.

Lets hope we get another Burnley-esque performance out of them!

Like others have said we must win this game as we really need to kick start our season. One solitary win just isn't good enough at the moment and bearing in mind after this its ***nal away :s

I've missed this place, welcome back to me.

Big month coming up, really need to be winning both home games, anything else is a bonus.

Valdes

Chambers

Ayala

Gibson

Friend

Forshaw

De Roon

Stuani

Ramirez

Downing

Negredo

Reckon we'll win this 2-0. Looking forward to seeing what Red Faction have planned, an opportunity to showcase Red Faction and a much Riverside Stadium to the world.

Come on Boro

Think it is fair to say that none of us expected a stroll in the park this season but we would enjoy the trials and tribulations of the first season back in the PL.

However I am inclined to agree with others that the honeymoon period is now over and that Boro really need to start getting some wins from somewhere otherwise this could very well be a one off trip to the promised land.

We simply have to get 3 points against Watford (no divine right to do so) if we are going to give ourselves a fighting chance when the Xmas period comes.

THE MOST IMPORTANT HOME GAME OF THE SEASON.............so far!!

Let's hope we give it a good go and play with an attacking intent, we have to have a bolder approach,hopefully the international break has given the chance to bed Adama in and that he may start, unlikely but we can hope.

We really need this win don't we! I hope for a really good performance and hopefully the break has done good and allowed the team to work on the some of the defensive blips. It's obviously not ideal that Ramirez, Stuani and Fischer have all been away as it has likely hampered the attacking tactics training with two of those three likely to start. Considering Fischer has actual matchpractise from two internationals I reckon he is starting over Ramirez, but he will have to show something in this match if he doesn't want to be back on the bench the following game. Stuani will again be on the right as it's still too early for Traore to start.

----------------Valdes------------------

Barragan-Chambers-Gibson-Friend

----------De Roon-Forshaw-----------

Stuani------------------------Downing

-----------------Fischer-----------------

----------------Negredo----------------

1-0 with Gibson scoring from another set piece.

Predicted line-up...

Valdes

Barragan Chambers Gibson Friend

Forshaw De Roon

Stuani Ramirez Downing

Negredo

I'd personally go for

Valdes

Barragan Ayala Gibson Friend

Adama Forshaw De Roon Downing

Rhodes Negredo/Stuani

I think with it being on the Sunday, and neither Stuani or Ramirez playing 90 minutes while on international duty, Karanka won't have any worries throwing either of them in. I don't think Ramirez will start, mind. I think we'll play the same XI as against West Ham, with Negredo and Ayala in for Rhodes and Chambers.

Could really do with a first home win and 3 points. Feel like this is not necessarily a 'must win' but certainly a game we should be aiming for victory given the poor result against Crystal Palace. Barring that game our results have been pretty much exactly as expected.

My XI:

-------------------------Valdes---------------------

Barragan----Gibson----Ayala-------Friend

----------De Roon-------------Forshaw--------

Stuani--------------Fischer----------Downing

-----------------------Rhodes----------------------

Was really stuck 50/50 between who to play at no10 and striker. Negredo is an absolute beast and brilliant at winning the ball in the air. At home against a side like Watford who will likely sit deep and counter he wouldn't be as isolated in recent weeks. In the end I opted for Fischer and Rhodes because they both did alright against West Ham without significantly contributing, but also because our attacking threat was neutered when they were subbed off. I think Fischer and Rhodes' work rate pressuring the West Ham defence high up the pitch was excellent and if Watford sit deep then defending from the front could be our best way to create a chance or two.

I'd love to see a 1-0 win but we're playing a side with 10 goals in their last 5 PL games, with the same strikers that demolished us in the championship (and who have only gotten better since). I think a score draw is probably the most likely result.