oneBoro Forum

Clayton Signs New Contract

I am somewhat undecided about that to a degree as I feel his form has dipped of late and we have not seen the best of him for a while, to me personally he is not PL quality but a solid Championship level player.

Perhaps a little bit of sour grapes because he has been part and parcel of a very negative midfield we have seen for most of the season

Still baffled as to how Adam Forshaw started ahead of him on Saturday vs Palace. We needed our best players playing in our biggest game of the season. Him and Traore should have been two of the first names on the team sheet.

Still baffled as to how Adam Forshaw started ahead of him on Saturday vs Palace. We needed our best players playing in our biggest game of the season. Him and Traore should have been two of the first names on the team sheet.

Clayton in the role that he does is fantastic. He is excellent at linking the midfield to attack and protecting the back 4. I'm slightly sad that we dont see the Clayton + Leadbitter partnership any more.

Me too. I don't understand we he hasn't been playing. He's been pretty consistant following a bad start. Really feared for him at the start of the season but he's got up to speed. Has to start Saturday.

I am somewhat undecided about that to a degree as I feel his form has dipped of late and we have not seen the best of him for a while, to me personally he is not PL quality but a solid Championship level player.

Perhaps a little bit of sour grapes because he has been part and parcel of a very negative midfield we have seen for most of the season

I think it's a good signing. I am pleased.

Clayton used to score a few more goals at Huddersfield and Leeds. I think he's been turned in to an uber defensive midfielder while he's been at Boro. I don't think that's really his fault.

[However, much as I like the guy, I agree that I can't really seeing him being anything more than a lower-level journeyman pro in the PL].

Clayton used to score a few more goals at Huddersfield and Leeds. I think he's been turned in to an uber defensive midfielder while he's been at Boro. I don't think that's really his fault.

[However, much as I like the guy, I agree that I can't really seeing him being anything more than a lower-level journeyman pro in the PL].

Sort of agree in that he is limited but the flipside is if we were to let him go he'd probably cost £15m+ to replace. Probably my favourite player over the last couple of seasons.

Sort of agree in that he is limited but the flipside is if we were to let him go he'd probably cost £15m+ to replace. Probably my favourite player over the last couple of seasons.

I'd say that he's every bit as good as De Roon, and given that De Roon cost us [up to] £12M, then you might not be too far off the mark.

Clayton is one of my favourite players too.

At least we will have a very good Championship midfielder should we go down. If we stay up we have a good squad player that may get better after a year's experience. Win-win.