oneBoro Forum

Boro v Fulham (A) 2-0

Fulham vs Boro

Saturday, February 27

3pm kick-off

Well, that's a bit more like it, isn't it? The run is broken, the hoodoo is shaken and now it's time to face... oh hang on, it's Ross McCormack with a point to prove, isn't it?

The game

Doesn't it feel so much more positive all of a sudden? An away game to Fulham up next, and it feels like we can go have a right go at them. There's even options that feel like they're keeping players on their toes. De Laet challenging for any spare spot across the defence, Ayala - well, who knows what's going on with his injury, Nugent getting the goal when he came on though Rhodes tormented the Cardiff defence without getting his own name on the score sheet. That's not even mentioning our top scorer!

The opposition

Cardiff's form was middling before we played them - Fulham's is a little worse, 11th in the league on form over the past six games, 13th over the past ten. That's better than they have been doing earlier in the season though and McCormack came out recently warning that the team was in a relegation dogfight and it was time to show character. They leak goals, too, the last time they kept a clean sheet being all the way back in October against... oh, hang on, that'd be against us.

They'll be missing Amorebieta against us after his red card vs Leeds, but they still have a tasty attacking line with Dembele and McCormack.

View from the opposition: No match thread from Fulham up yet - but here's a discussion on who replaces Amorebieta in their line-up http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=52858.0 - they seem to be worried about a shortage at left-back, which I'm sure Albert will be only too happy to hear.

Line-up

Nugent scored but I still think Rhodes will start. His movement created chances for us and he may not have finished against Cardiff, but those goals will come. Adomah's man of the match show keeps him his place, so Stuani will have to warm the bench again. It's hard to say there should be any changes in the midfield or forward positions - Forshaw made a good case for himself longer term too.

I have a stray suspicion that two games in fairly quick succession might make De Laet a candidate to replace George as he eases back in after injury, but if George says he's fit, he'll get the spot. That man will run through walls if you let him.

Gibson is back available at the back and I'd expect him to slot in - though Fry and Kalas seemed to do a sterling job in his absence. Clayton out still for this game, so Forshaw gets another start.

Dimi

Nsue            Fry           Gibson       Friend

Leadbitter

Forshaw

Adomah                                Downing

Ramirez

Rhodes

Talking points

1. Will McCormack kiss the badge in front of the Boro fans to renew our hate-hate relationship?

2. Which of the top teams is going to blink next in the dodgy form leadership handicap stakes?

3. How proud were you of that moment against Cardiff paying tribute to Ali?

4. Is Downing's position a little too safe? Does he need a bit of pressure on him to raise his game?

Over to you!

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Great opening post again chipchat, standard is very high, well done.

1. No

2. Burnley (a gut feel)

3. Extremely

4. Downing will come good and show us the player he really is.

Feeling good about this game, think the confidence gainsd from the Cardiff victory is vitally important, three points at Fulham and we are back on track at two points per game, 64 from 32.

Lets overturn last seasons crazy game and result and get at them from the off.

Good opener Chipchat and cannot disagree with your team selection, apart from maybe giving Downing a rest, he really looks out of sorts at times, perhaps it is time for De Pena to be given a run out.

I would go for Fry. I have a feeling that AK might go for Kalas. Dembele and McCormack are far better than any forwards Fry has faced so far, and I think Kalas might get the nod.

I'd personally drop Downing for this one, and bring Nugent in at No10, with Ramirez moving wide. But I don't think Karanka would go for that either. Gibson for Fry will be the only change, in my opinion.

I think with them struggling without a left back at the minute, we need Albert and Nsue to fully exploit that side.

You dont need just out and out pace to exploit a position though.

Nsue has pace, Stuani has really good movement. I think we should drop Downing, he seems like a passenger these last few games, even out on the left.

Personally speaking i don't think Stuani is the answer in wide positions. I think he stifles our creativity. Great player down the middle but we rely on Nsue to provide the creativity when Stuani starts wide right.

I'd like to see Ramirez get a number of games at 10 under his belt and build some momentum. I'm not a fan of constantly switching players around. I agree that Downing has been in some poor form but i think i'd persist for the time being.

Good opening post although I would question the bit about Cardiff being in middling form before us since they came into our game on the back of hammering Brighton and sounded decent but that aside I would go with the same side again againt Fulham

In answer to the Downing question I still think it would be utter madness to drop him , although Stewey might have to get used to starting on ther left if Ramirez follows up a few more No 10 games like this week , but the man is a premiership player and to suggest we are better without him is nuts in my opinion. Just as it has to be said moving Albert to the left is also madness as the man is not a left winger. I have been a critic of Albert on many an occassion but if he can produce more of the same on the right he will be a fxture. My fear , and a fear of lots I think , is that Albert is a 1 in 8 type of player and we may have had is good game on Tuesday.

So same again for me , and actually another 3-1 win