oneBoro Forum

Next Season

Given the expected result of relegation what changes are needed next season? 

Management?

Squad?

"Philosophy"?

Attitude?

Who goes. Who stays. What changes. How much Do we need to spend? Which positions need strengthening?

How do we come straight back up?

Goalkeeper

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos

Brad Guzan MLS 

Victor Valdes

Tomas Mejias

Defender

Fabio Da Silva

George Friend

Daniel Ayala

Bernardo Espinosa

Ben Gibson

Antonio Barragan

Dael Fry

Calum Chambers

James Husband

Midfielder

Grant Leadbitter

Adam Clayton

Marten de Roon

Stewart Downing

Adlene Guedioura

Adam Forshaw

Carlos De Pena

Attacking Midfielder

Viktor Fischer

Gaston Ramirez

Adama Traore

Striker

Alvaro Negredo

Christian Stuani

Patrick Bamford

Rudy Gestede

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We need an overhaul whatever league we find ourselves in. The current crop of management and players are not good enough to retain our position in the Premier League should we somehow manage to stay up and it is probably not going to be good enough to come straight back up. I expect the Championship to be even more competitive next season so we need to be ruthless, again.

Not only do we need changes on the pitch and in the dugout we also need to see changes higher up in the hierarchy. One of our biggest failures this season has been recruitment, that needs to change.

Could we also do with a DoF? Someone who knows how to make football related decisions as and when required. Can't help but think Steve Gibson needs a helping hand.

We might not need to spend too heavily.... but it depends how much we bring in from outgoings. I think we could do with a couple of players like Adomah, one on each wing. In the games where he was 'on it', Adomah was everywhere!

I think we get rid of, or lose..... Valdes, Guzan, Barragan, Bernado, Gibson, Chambers, [Ramirez (although not convinced there will be a queue to sign him)], and Negredo.

There's work to be done in every area of the park (although perhaps ironically in terms of the Championship), less so up front!!

Management it's too early to say. Anyone writing Steve Agnew off already is being unfair (IMO), but equally a more experienced manager might make sense. (It's been a while since we've had one).

Personally I think the philosophy/attitude HAS to become more positive. We need to learn how to attack again. At present we are pretty much hopeless in that regard.

I think we'll be left with the following:

Goalkeeper

Brad Guzan MLS 

Victor Valdes

Tomas Mejias

Defender

Fabio Da Silva

George Friend

Daniel Ayala

Bernardo Espinosa

Ben Gibson

Antonio Barragan

Dael Fry

Calum Chambers

James Husband

Midfielder

Grant Leadbitter

Adam Clayton

Marten de Roon

Stewart Downing

Adlene Guedioura

Adam Forshaw

Carlos De Pena

Attacking Midfielder

Viktor Fischer

Gaston Ramirez

Adama Traore

Striker

Alvaro Negredo

Christian Stuani

Patrick Bamford

Rudy Gestede

GK is obviously a big concern.

I think we'll desperately need centre half reinforcement. Gibson gone. Ayala's a constant fitness doubt. Can't rely on Fry yet. Espinosa is ***e.

We're ok in Centre Midfield, but we desperately need creativity.

I'd like another striker or two.

Who's out of contract this summer? Barragan? Leadbitter?

If Gorgeous George leaves from the Premiership, will the new manager fancy giving Husband a chance? Will someone take a punt on Traore for speed alone?

My main hope is that whoever comes in is willing to give the youth team players who've shown potential over the past few seasons a chance in the first team. Ripley has set League One alight this season, Fry could be the natura successor to Gibson, Chapman could be useful for a few games throughout the season and then there's players like Junior Mondal who've impressed from what I've seen and heard of them.

With the players who stay, we could still field a decent 11. One or two championship experienced heads in a***st it - certainly in defence if Ayala were to leave alongside Gibson. Would be happy to see a Gestede/Bamford partnership though.

I'd largely agree with that list, Humpty, but would expect Friend and Stuani to both move on too. Actually wouldn't surprise me if a lower/newly promoted Prem team came in for Clayton too...

Interestingly you missed out Rhodes from that hes still our player not shef weds, i think if we go back down he will be coming back to us and karanka going might mean a fresh start for him here as well so he might stay if no prem offer comes along.

Interestingly you missed out Rhodes from that hes still our player not shef weds, i think if we go back down he will be coming back to us and karanka going might mean a fresh start for him here as well so he might stay if no prem offer comes along.

Deals already signed and agreed. He's gone permanently in the summer.

I think there is more chance of Karanka coming back than Rhodes. He's contracted to shef Wed.

I think we'll desperately need centre half reinforcement. Gibson gone. Ayala's a constant fitness doubt. Can't rely on Fry yet. Espinosa is ***.

Should we be relegated I think we'll see Ripley become our number 1 GK, he's had a very good season at Oldham and is getting some very good reviews. Definitely need reinforcements at CB and possibly another FB. I really hope De Roon could give us a season in the Championship, I think he would be perfect in that league. We definitely need to add another winger/creative midifielder or two and I hope we get rid off Downing whatever it takes.

I want to see us sign fast, strong, explosive players. We should have done that this season. We need to move with the times. We are so far behind everyone in this league it's unbelievable.

I think we'll be left with the following:

Goalkeeper

Brad Guzan MLS 

Victor Valdes

Tomas Mejias

Defender

Fabio Da Silva

George Friend

Daniel Ayala

Bernardo Espinosa

Ben Gibson

Antonio Barragan

Dael Fry

Calum Chambers

James Husband

Midfielder

Grant Leadbitter

Adam Clayton

Marten de Roon

Stewart Downing

Adlene Guedioura

Adam Forshaw

Carlos De Pena

Attacking Midfielder

Viktor Fischer

Gaston Ramirez

Adama Traore

Striker

Alvaro Negredo

Christian Stuani

Patrick Bamford

Rudy Gestede

I think we'll desperately need centre half reinforcement. Gibson gone. Ayala's a constant fitness doubt. Can't rely on Fry yet. Espinosa is ***.

I think that we might be able to persuade Mejas and De Penna to stay ;)

I don't see a Premier League side coming in for Friend next season. I do think someone might grab Clayton though. Think you might be right about Stuani too. I can see him going to La Liga team.

Rhodes deal is signed Thomas.

If we do keep Friend then that's an experienced Championship head in there next term, which is a bonus. Fabio has played there too, so if we still had Ayala that's 3/4 defenders who know the league, which could prove key.

If Clayton leaves, we need to spend on a replacement. Guedioura did very well in the Championship previously, but his legs seem to have started to go and he's certainly not the player I used to enjoy watching anymore. Leadbitter is getting on a bit and is losing his dynamism and Forshaw is just massively inconsistent. Would like to see de Sart come back and claim a place in that midfield though.

Without Clayton:

GK - Ripley / ???

RB - Fabio / Barragan

CB - Ayala / ???

CB - Espinosa / Fry

LB - Friend / Husband

RM - Traore / Chapman

CM - de Sart / Leadbitter

CM - Forshaw / Guedioura

LM - Downing / Fischer

ST - Gestede / ???

ST - Bamford / ???

That suggests to me that a GK, CB, CM and ST are key positions to strengthen... Essentially, the spine of the team.

I don't think folk will be falling over themselves to sign De Roon. I reckon it more depends on whether we want to offload his wages.

Same goes for Ramirez. MAYBE we can rekindle the Leicester interest (if it was ever there), but let's face it, Ramirez has already dropped down to the Champo when there was no PL interest.

I would have thought we'd have Dimi, Mejias and Ripley on the GK front, which I think is adequate. (Dimi if we persuade him to sign for another year, if we want to do that).

I agree that Friend won't be on too many teams shopping lists either.... and also think that someone might actually want to snap up Clayton (although I hope they don't).

Interesting times.

I'll be ironic if we manage to close the gap with Swansea, but still go down because Hull manage to finish above us!