oneBoro Forum

Guedioura

Apparently he was at the boxing last night? I hope he had a good time anyway.  It's nice that the players are able to take a break from all their hard work and relax in these stressful times for the football club.

Let's just think about this.  More than one person currently at this football club thought he was a good signing.  

More than one.  

Neither of those people appear to be the ex manager or the current manager. 

At least one person in our scouting team (and probably more than one) felt he was a guy that could add to our squad.  The Chief Executive, if not actively pushing for it himself, presumably supported it and then finally Gibson signed off on it.

Let's firstly consider the fact that whilst a better central midfielder certainly could have been useful, it wasn't a stated priority for anyone, well except me but I've been banging on about it for a couple of years. Karanka made no mention of it and the players we were pursuing were completely different positions and types of players. 

Then secondly we should consider the fact that he was no kind of improvement anyway.  He was ok in the Championship having one or two decent spells but no more than that, he's 31 and obviously 32 this year and hasn't looked at any point like even a solid Premier League calibre midfielder.

Was this signing a favour for someone?  If so is £4m an acceptable amount to be paying for favours? Is the incompetence of some of our staff, including our Chief Executive, such that we are unable to see when a player isn't good enough and/or doesn't address clear areas of weakness.  You'd think these would be fairly basic things they'd need to be able to do but it appears that we have people who can't manage this.

If Gibson is sticking around and if he is serious about Boro's future he should start by addressing those aspects of the football club that have failed miserably this season even before we get down to who the next manager is.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a horrible addition and just plain baffling. Lets hope the entire fee was subject to us staying up. 4 million should get you a lot more quality.

There's a school of thought that he was bought to placate Karanka after missing out on the players he wanted. However, as you rightly say, Karanka clearly didn't much fancy him either, so that seems unlikely.

Neither Gestede and Bamford were the exciting signings that you thought 'he will keep us up', but at least there was an element of common sense to them. That £4m on an average winger, or towards the wages for a loan one, could have made all the difference.

There's no difference between how people felt when we first signed him to now. It was a signing for the sake of a signing, adding an extra body in a position it really wasn't needed.

My only theory is that we were previously interested in Guedioura, when we were in the Championship, and perhaps were looking to sign him from Palace before he went to Watford. I'm pretty sure his name was mentioned in Summer 2015 as he really impressed when we got beat at Vicarage Road 2 seasons ago.

This all leads to the idea that a player previously on the wish list was sought after to, as others have said, appease Karanka in some way. But Watford must have been ***ing themselves getting £4m for him.

Who knows, he might prove useful next season. We know that's his level at the very least. We've no doubt got him until his contract expires now so we might as well make use of him.

Him nt making the bench on Sunday was a noteable factor. It meant when Forshaw was on his last warning, we couldn't take him off witiout changing our shape.

If the negotiation team had any sanity a huge amount of that fee must hinge on us surviving. I just refuse to believe that we paid 4 million outright for someone not needed at their club and who was obviously going to be a squad player here.

I just refuse to believe that we paid 4 million outright for someone not needed at their club and who was obviously going to be a squad player here.

you mean like  Rhodes , Fischer, Baptiste, Husband, De Pena, Wildschutt and to a much lesser degree  Bamford and Gestede. ......hikes that 4m up quite a bit. 

but i see your point .   Senseless piece of business , recruitment team have been shocking.

Guedwho? I cannot even remember what he looks like and would not recognise him if he stood on my foot! How can this level of incompetence be allowed to continue, surely someone must be responsible.

This signing summed up our recruitment department for the absolute shambles that it is.

If I was Steve Gibson I'd be making some serious enquiries into how our scouting setup up works because some of their decisions have made him and the club look like amateurs.

I have a bit of an insight into Aston Villa through a friend of my son and I know that our team who handled the negotiations as regards Adomah, Gestede, Traore and Rhodes were thought to be pretty much second rate and the Villa got everything they asked for.

I have a bit of an insight into Aston Villa through a friend of my son and I know that our team who handled the negotiations as regards Adomah, Gestede, Traore and Rhodes were thought to be pretty much second rate and the Villa got everything they asked for.

Seems strange for Villa to be doing transfer negotiations on behalf of Sheffield Wednesday ;)

Being serious though, Villa overpaid for Adomah and if we sell Adama this summer we'll almost definitely make a profit, so they didn't have it all their own way. Gestede we overpaid for, but could be useful in the championship.

If we are relying on Gestede next season then we're in trouble, I don't mind if he's third or fourth choice but I don't want him starting games for us.