oneBoro Forum

The Championship - where should I put my money?!

It's looking like the Championship will be as competitive as ever. It's almost time for my annual divisional bets, and am thinking that Boro are worth a punt to finish 1st. Or Villa.

My Sunderland supporting boss has given up before it even starts, and thinks they'll go down again...

What's the feeling a*** Boro fans?

For the record, we are going to finish 18th, I'm not hopeful...

Reading will be handy, Sheff Wed, Fulham are all in with a shout.

We have bought well so far,depends who leaves and who else comes in.

Enjoy your season in the PL, we didn't.

Reading will be handy, Sheff Wed, Fulham are all in with a shout.

We have bought well so far,depends who leaves and who else comes in.

Enjoy your season in the PL, we didn't.

Cheers, I think it's all about the enjoyment this season, without the stress to finally get to the PL that I've endured for a few seasons. 

I think Villa, now they've had a season to acclimatise, will be quite strong. They were v good at the Amex. The neutrals down here would prob like to see Fulham go up, but Weds and Reading are lacking love on the Brighton boards!

Villa will likely be determined by the influence of John Terry and Steve Bruce. I think Terry's all but past it as a player so his influence as a captain will be secondary. They really should be challenging though this season.

Reading should at the very least be back in the play-offs. We'll see how Wednesday do. I think they're a good side but they've missed their chance twice in the play-offs, they need to aim higher but not sure they can make it.

It's difficult to decide because I can easily see 9 or 10 out of the 24 sides who I'd think should be at the very least in the play-offs. I think it's going to be quite close around the play-offs and, like the season we went up or the one previous, the top 3 or 4 sides being quite close together with a bit of a gap between the top 4 and the next 4-6 teams down.

I think we'll for sure be in the top 4. I think the other 3 will be... Fulham, Wolves and Villa. Bit of a guess, nearly said Birmingham instead of Villa. I'm going to stick my neck out and say Fulham will finish in the top 2 with us.

Not sure what the fuss is about with Villa. Defence looks average (Terry or not), midfield is decent and they have two expensive strikers. Might get top 6.

I think you answered your own question Will :D

Average defence, half decent midfield and a good attack? Sounds like Brentford of 3 years ago, nothing to worry about, definitely not potential winners of the league.

Weren't Villa top of the form league after New Year of last year, followed by Fulham?

Villa favourites for me now too.. finished last year strongly, decent squad, good experienced manager.

Think we'll finish fourth. Fulham and a surprise team to finish above us.

Actually think Sunderland will do a lot better than many think they will, top 6 also for me.

Weren't Villa top of the form league after New Year of last year, followed by Fulham?

Villa favourites for me now too.. finished last year strongly, decent squad, good experienced manager.

Think we'll finish fourth. Fulham and a surprise team to finish above us.

Actually think Sunderland will do a lot better than many think they will, top 6 also for me.

i agree with you Jimmy on most of that.  im not so confident that Villa will suddenly become the team to beat based on a few decent signings and how ordinary they were last season. Fulham for me are the team to beat and i can see Sheff wed being top 4 . us ....im with yo on that im guessing 5th maybe.  suprise teams for me would be Sheff utd and Cardiff.   and Sunderland i agree with you, they alwats seem to do very well at this level  .

I don't think Fulham are anything to shout about at the moment. Could change over the next few weeks but their squad looks very thin. They have a couple of decent keepers, a very good midfield and a good manager. In defence and up top they're bang average IMO. They've lost 3 or 4 nailed on starters from last season already and haven't replaced them yet.

I just feel Sunderland are a lot like Villa when they came down last season. I don't think they know how or where to spend their money, what little they have, because they've been in the top division for a while now.

They seem to be really struggling to compete with any of the top clubs for big players too, something Villa did alright with but only after Dr. Tony came in. The best player they've been linked with is McCormack, who of course last season went to Villa and had one of his worst seasons in a while. On £50k a week supposedly too. They're struggling to fund it so might have to loan him rather than buy despite Villa wanting shot. Can you imagine if anyone stole in ahead of them and brought McCormack in? Think that would be the final nail in their coffin in their top 6 ambitions to be honest.