oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

It's time, ladies and gents, with the window opening in a mere 20 days time.

What do we need?

Will we keep Bamford?

Will Baker be sent back to Chelsea?

I will update this OP with any signings or sales we make.

Come home, KM, your time has come.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

A big part of the question around January is going to be that our fringe players are, by and large, Monk's signings. And permanent signings at that, so we're hardly likely to get rid so soon of Johnson, Shotton or Fletcher.

Then we have our first choice XI, and a couple of players (Fry, Gestede, Friend) who are needed as backup.

So that doesn't give us much wiggle room in terms of who to move on in order to bring in new faces. Which is why I have mentioned Bamford specifically. Who else?

Clayton?

Traore?

Roberts?

Baker?

I think for this reason alone it will be a low key window, with maybe 2 or 3 out and probably only one in.

I hope we don't go overboard and buy a lot of mediocre players. One Premier League quality Attacking Midfielder/Winger and I would be happy with the window, we need our own Matt Ritchie!

Definitely needs to be an emphasis on quality over quantity, we have a glut of Championship standard players and no one really standing out. I wouldn't be averse to Selling/Loaning Traore out. Can see Baker being recalled and other than this I reckon it will be a quiet window.

not sure Gibson will splash out a massive amount in January, but imo we need 4 additions.

1..Dynamic Attacking Midfielder....along the lines of Saiz at Leeds

2..Central Defender...due to worry about Fry and Ayala and zero confidence in Shotton

not quite so desperate the next two (but with hindsight in consideration)

3... replacement for Friend unless he suddenly rediscovers his form on a regular basis

4...left sided winger/attacking midfielder.

also with taking the debate on another thread into consideration a leftfield suggestion , maybe a leader/ strong character to unite ,cajole and shake up those around him as a step in for Leadbitter at times.  maybe possibl to take this into consideration when identifying the central defender.

we need to keep Bamford and now we need to give him a long stint in the team and accept he will have days when he doesnt stand out . hes vital to our attacking department.

Baker needs to convince us as well as himself that hes totally up for being here .

The big problem being in the position we're in is that any players of note will have very little interest in coming to us. We're not going to win a top 2 spot and play offs is certainly not guaranteed. We're going to have to go some to get in the quality we need.

Ask Birmingham if they are interested in a Fletcher/Jota loan swap considering neither has broken through after their moves. Depending on his wages send Baker back. Buy Bjelland from Brentford - yeah I know he is Danish but I don’t know that many defenders that would improve us. So calm and would bring out the best in Gibson.

We need a good quality #10 desperately. One good game from Bamford against a poor Ipswich side at home doesn't change that. Good quality #10's don't come cheap - unless we take a successful risky gamble on a Ramirez like 2 years ago - so we may have to have at least one significant sale like Traore. He isn't trusted by Monk and has very little end product so we could benefit by selling him and spending the money on a player that significantly strengthens our starting eleven. The wide players in our system seem best as natural #10's so getting in some more technical and intelligent wide players would suit us far more than a Traore.

We could send Baker back and not miss the numbers as that would still leave us with 4 very good CM's + Gueudiora. We don't need one of our strikers either. I'd be more than happy for Fletcher to be loaned out for regular Championship game time. Baker and Fletcher leaving would help adjust our squads balance more towards a 4-2-3-1 and hopefully give some leeway in the budget to strengthen other areas. We certainly need to try to address some clear problems within our squad.

I think if Traore isn't going to be given the opportunity to tear this league apart then we should move him on now. I'm not necessarily being critical of not using him, we didn't need him against Ipswich and I think he could have been very detrimental to the intelligent passing play we displayed in that game. I just don't see the point in having him in the side if it's only to try and terrorise teams who are already beating us.

I can't see Baker still being here if he can't get in the side right now. It's a waste of his time more than anything and that's no good for his ambitions. Shame because I think we may have missed a trick there.

Other than those 2, I'm not sure who I'd be happy to leave other than the likes of Fletcher and Johnson, which as Tom put is not likely to happen in this window, certainly not permanently. Mainly because I still don't know who will be in charge in January. Monk has bought himself more time with a very good performance against Ipswich and I think there are a couple of players who are already here who don't fit the bill for him who we could make some dollah on right now, Clayton for example. But would I sell Clayton knowing Monk wouldn't be in charge beyond January? Hell no.

I think the only thing our squad lacks is some creative spark, probably in the form of an attacking midfielder/second striker or maybe another wide player.

Other than that we have 2 players for every position.

I agree with the quality of quantity view - unless we bring in someone that would improve our first XI it just isn’t worth it. we might need to go on a good run over the coming weeks to help attract better players as well as giving ourselves the best chance of securing play offs.

As Humpty has said, the quality of player we can attract might have lowered since the summer,however money talks and we have tons of it compared to the rest in this league.

Thinking of potential players, without a foreign gem coming in I'd say Alex Pritchard is a realistic target who could fill our problem positions.

He was very productive from the left for Brentford but could also play anywhere across the 3. He's just come back from a big injury so we'd have to see how he gets on in the coming weeks, but Norwich aren't looking like promotion candidates and I'm sure they are a mess financially.

As Humpty has said, the quality of player we can attract might have lowered since the summer,however money talks and we have tons of it compared to the rest in this league.

Thinking of potential players, without a foreign gem coming in I'd say Alex Pritchard is a realistic target who could fill our problem positions.

He was very productive from the left for Brentford but could also play anywhere across the 3. He's just come back from a big injury so we'd have to see how he gets on in the coming weeks, but Norwich aren't looking like promotion candidates and I'm sure they are a mess financially.

Pritchard for Baker would be a great move