oneBoro Forum

Quite a lot of changes being made this month and one potentially massive one

First let me briefly touch on the performance and the match.

Excellent first half, never gave them a sniff at all. Should have gone in at least one goal up.

As the second half wore on we seemed to get a bit leggy and could not close them down high up the pitch hunting the ball in packs like we were in the first half. Even so, Braithwaite and Britt should have scored and we should have been given a penalty. Interesting to find out that the referee is a Sunderland fan and, as a picture online confirms, he walked off the pitch with quite a smug look on his face.

Fulham are a good team. They will be top 6 end of season. OK, we lost but we dominated them for the majority of the game. The game changed and Fulham came back into it more when Gestede and Traore went off. This leads me nicely on to the big changes that i foresee taking place this month.

Firstly, the attacking positions. It is clear to absolutely everyone that we are two or three strikers heavy. Tony Pulis has already hinted that the squad is unbalanced and certain areas need strengthening which means other players leaving. So what does Tony Pulis want in his frontman? In my opinion he needs a presence up there. Someone who can retain the ball, hold it up, win headers, use their strength etc etc. Only Gestede offers that out of the strikers on our books. This may be controversial but I would look to offload Bamford, Fletcher and Assombolonga. None of the three can play a lone striker role effectively. Move those three on. We should be able to recoup 25 million for those three. Use that money to get a top class target man in and a young, up and coming target man. 

Out of those three I can understand suggesting we sell Assombolonga seems crazy but his body language, workrate and demeanour suggest to me he is not enjoying what the manager is asking him to do. We need to be ruthless and I am sure Pulis will be and he will get exactly the type of players he wants.

Next, we look light in the wide areas. Johnson is not good enough. He should be offloaded asap. Tavernier is still learning and should be loaned out. That just leaves us with Downing and Traore. Both very good options for us but you saw today when we brought of Traore and Downing started to tire a bit, the replacements were just not up to it. I think we will certainly see one wide player brought in possibly two. Jota at Birmingham?

In central midfield I actually think we are OK. I only say this because of the emergence of Howson who has gone from zero to hero. He is showing what a quality player he is. Pairing him with Leadbitter or Clayton is good enough but I would like to see us sell Forshaw and Guediora and bring in a tall, physical, mobile midfielder. Interestingly enough, Mcdonald who played for Fulham today looked good. I would be happy with him coming in to replace Forshaw.

We are fine in defence, I would like a left back to sign. Tyler Blackett at Reading is a tall, quick left back with plenty of potential. He would fit the bill in terms of what Pulis likes in his fullbacks. One can only hope that the manager and coaching team can improve the defensive ability of Christie as I think he could still turn out to be a good fullback.

So there we have it. I predict some shocks. Bamford, Britt and Fletcher all being sold. Fringe players Fabio, Johnson, Guediora and Forshaw all leaving.

Three coming in. A top class target man, a strong midfielder with a physical presence and a left back. That would be excellent business for this window. It would reduce the size of the first team squad and allow us to bring in the exact type of players that Pulis needs. We can not afford to shoehorn players into this system. There can be no passengers and those who do not have the attributes to succeed must be moved on.

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thought is why create a new thread for your thoughts on the match? :)

:D :D :D

Its funny how lots on here get their knickers in a twist over new threads. I did think about it actually but this post only slightly touched on the match and was essentially about the changes I think we will make in this window.

Apologies to the post police. Don't send me down!

Britt won't be sold. No chance.

Do you see him being able to excel in a Pulis team? I don't and I think his body language has changed dramatically since Pulis came in. I honestly think we might sell him to a lower Prem team. I do rate him but I am 100% sure that he is not the type of player for our style and formation.

As soon as Gestede went off Fulham came back into it. We didnt have anyone to hold the ball up and play off. Britt loves running in behind but this meant that we were giving the ball back to Fulham continuously. When he did come to meet the ball he didn't make it stick and it looks as if he doesn't enjoy playing like that.

Is there a reason for keeping a 15million pound striker just because we paid big money for him? If he can't do his job then he is useless to us.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking Pulis only plays with a Crouch like target man. Britt was dropped deservedly, but the club isn't stupid, they aren't going to sell their top scorer because he's had a poor few games.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking Pulis only plays with a Crouch like target man. Britt was dropped deservedly, but the club isn't stupid, they aren't going to sell their top scorer because he's had a poor few games.

I am aware that Pulis has played with mobile strikers but have a look at how his teams have fared when he has done that. Not very well. The way in which he sets his team up, the type of players that he has in his team lends itself to utilising the strengths of a target man. I am not suggesting that Pulis asks his teams to hammer the ball from one end of the pitch to the other but he does like a big man to play off.

I understand that Britt is our top scorer but just have a think for a second and ask yourself what is the point of keeping him if he can not excel in the role that is required? That is 15 million pounds worth of striker not being utilised correctly. Its like buying a speedboat when you live 1000 miles from the sea. A complete waste of money.

I can’t see baker being here in feb unless his contract says we can’t get rid

I forgot about him. He was excellent in Holland last year but again, he is the type of player that is not going to fit into a Pulis team. Too many recent managers have shoehorned players into positions where they are not at their best. I am confident Pulis won't make such mistakes and that will mean some players moving on.

I don't think anyone would have thought Fabio would be leaving the club but he just does not offer anything as a full back in this type of setup.

I can't believe you started a thread when you are not ITK and you're just guessing what might happen.

Yes Bamford my go, but so may any member of the squad.

Britt is not what Pulis wants of a striker, but will he go, I don't care, as I think Bamford is 10x times the player he is.

What happens if you live near a big lake?  Is it a waste of money then?

The imaginary person in my imaginary situation lived in a forest in the mountains that was 1000 miles from the nearest large water area.

:D

He or she might just really like boats though have you considered this?