oneBoro Forum

What do you think of Pulis?

Hello a Baggie here. Just dropped by to see what you think of Tone. Personal bias, I dislike him greatly.  he destroyed a system that saw retain prem status for a number of years and took over complete control of signings. He should've gone this time last year. It costs Williams and Hammond their jobs when they insisted to replace him with Pardew. Pardew I have no great love for and he was involved in the taxi debarcle. It can be said though only a small amount of blame can be laid at his feet.

Pulis had a number windows and while everyman and his dog could see what our problems were, but, he spent a small fortune on both Centreback who he'd play out of position or aging Defensive Midfielders on huge wages. He kind of ripped the heart out of the club. The Football was dire and we went great stretches without a shot on goal :tear:  So what are opinions of Fans up there? Is Gerry Francis with him? We're in the process of rebuilding after him. Which will take time

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on him is perfectly described by you. I really dislike the tactics he employs and I don’t think it’ll do us any good in the long run. Might get us promoted but it won’t be pretty or entertaining. Interested to see who he brings in as it’s clear we need pace and creativity.

My thoughts on him is perfectly described by you. I really dislike the tactics he employs and I don’t think it’ll do us any good in the long run. Might get us promoted but it won’t be pretty or entertaining. Interested to see who he brings in as it’s clear we need pace and creativity.

I did watch the playoffs and please don't take this as me rubbing salt in the wounds. You were only a goal down. yet that second game you had no shots on target. It was typical Pulis at West Brom tactics. Pulis at us was defend the draw and score from a set-peice. Once we were rumbled it was over for us. He drove countless fans who had stuck with the club through really quite dark days away. There were games like brighton where he put all 10 players behind the ball. It was like they'd get penalised for crossing the half way line. and after it was always "We were Unlucky" no tone yer tactics were s***

Hello a Baggie here. Just dropped by to see what you think of Tone. Personal bias, I dislike him greatly.  he destroyed a system that saw retain prem status for a number of years and took over complete control of signings. He should've gone this time last year. It costs Williams and Hammond their jobs when they insisted to replace him with Pardew. Pardew I have no great love for and he was involved in the taxi debarcle. It can be said though only a small amount of blame can be laid at his feet.

Pulis had a number windows and while everyman and his dog could see what our problems were, but, he spent a small fortune on both Centreback who he'd play out of position or aging Defensive Midfielders on huge wages. He kind of ripped the heart out of the club. The Football was dire and we went great stretches without a shot on goal :tear:  So what are opinions of Fans up there? Is Gerry Francis with him? We're in the process of rebuilding after him. Which will take time

I make no bones about it, I didn't want Pulis here in the 1st place and still don't, never liked his style of football or lack of it, in my opinion he's a football dinosaur.I can see us going down the same route as yourselves and ending up with a load of defensive minded 30 year olds that have no sell on value, a leopard doesn't change its spots. If Pulis doesn't get us promoted I think it will set the club back years with the type of squad I think he'll leave us with.

I did watch the playoffs and please don't take this as me rubbing salt in the wounds. You were only a goal down. yet that second game you had no shots on target. It was typical Pulis at West Brom tactics.  Pulis at us was defend the draw and score from a set-peice. Once we were rumbled it was over for us. He drove countless fans who had stuck with the club through really quite dark days away. There were games like brighton where he put all 10 players behind the ball. It was like they'd get penalised for crossing the half way line. and after it was always "We were Unlucky" no tone yer tactics were s***

We didn't produce that much in regards to a goal threat in the 1st play off leg, lots of possession with very little to show for it. Pulis's tactics in the 2nd play off leg were abysmal.

You'll not find much optimism up here about him either. Been discussed at great length how some on here want rid already and a marginal few like myself are happy enough to keep him on board and give him a chance. That's pretty much the opinions of the fan-base summed up right now.

Nobody expects him to change (if they ever did, that was daft), he will continue to play football his way as he has always done. I'm just much happier with an experienced manager in charge than giving the job and money to spend to a manager that doesn't even understand his own vision.

I'm waiting till this transfer window is over to see what the squad looks like before I make a judgment, if it's anything like his targets from January I'd be pretty happy... We definitely had an upswing of results in his half of the season.

Said a few months ago he will ruin the club if we give him a summer, looking at the targets we are linked with I think im going to be proved correct.....

I think my opinion is very much coloured by who he was brought in to replace. Garry Monk was awful and had no idea how he wanted to play. He chopped and changed players and formations, spent poorly and didn't foster any kind of relationship with the fans. After about 5 games I was convinced we wouldn't go up with him at the helm.

Pulis has a clear idea of how he wants to play, a first XI he'll usually stick with if fit, and is very down to earth when talking to fans and media. I'm considerably more confident with him in charge than I was with Monk.

However, I don't think he's great by any means. Those playoff games showed how limited his teams are, and I am worried about how he plans to spend Steve Gibson's money.

I think he has a decent shot at promotion this year, and I am happy for him to have that. But I think that Gibson should make sure that his signings don't set us back, and, if this season doesn't go according to plan, get rid.

Said a few months ago he will ruin the club if we give him a summer, looking at the targets we are linked with I think im going to be proved correct.....

Most of the targets we are linked with are the same players we where linked with last summer before pulis was even in the picture.

I genuinely had to try and make an effort to get to know Monk as a person and I've said it so many times now, it was clear he is Swansea through and through and speaking to him about anything other than Swansea, he's completely devoid of emotional thought. The interview he did with Owain Tudur Jones, it was like speaking to an entirely different person, he spoke with emotion and any Swansea fan would have been lapping that up. But it came to speaking about us and it was pretty much like any of his interviews that we'd seen when he was speaking as the Boro manager.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he did go in for the Swansea job before. I don't know how true that rumour was but I don't think he really wants to manage anybody other than Swansea. Or he won't put anywhere near as much thought into it until he goes back there at some stage. I wonder if he's been in touch after Carvalhal left too.

In terms of connection to the fans and generally the people of Middlesbrough, Pulis is about as best as you can hope for. Everything will and should be determined by how well you do on the pitch but having that connection is a definite plus point.

Pulis seems like a genuine guy, much more so than his predecessor.

Most Boro fans seem to think that in the past we get promoted in spite of our manager rather than because of him, so it probably won’t make much difference who’s in charge.

As someone else pointed out, we are being linked with the same transfer targets as we always are, it’s eirher proof that our recruitment dept call the shots or lazy journalism, I expect it’s the latter.

I think we’ll be in the top 6 again next season, so I’m not too worried. I’m also hopeful that there won’t be a massive clear out again, because all it does is destabilise the team. A few shrewd signings and we’ll do well.

So far the football under Pulis has generally been a lot better than under Monk.

Jury is still out for me.

Like him as a person, good and honest. Always good to listen to him talk about football.

I think he's done OK since he's come in, stabilised us to some extent and obviously got us into the playoffs. His tactics in the playoffs were unsurprising, although a little disappointing.

I don't actually think the football he employs is terrible. It's effective. My worry is is that it seems much more suited for surviving in the top flight, than to getting us out of the Championship. So far under his stewardship I'd suggest that we've lacked intent to win matches in terms of style of play. At the Riverside I'd like to see us controlling the game and showing real intent to get forward to win the match, but I've found that lacking, and to get promoted we need to be winning games, more often than drawing.

Overall, I'm happy to give him this season. Who he signs in this window is genuinely concerning though, as it may have ramifications for the next couple of years, regardless of who's in charge.

This just echoes my thoughts from the beginning- can anyone say they looked at Stoke, Palace or the Baggies under Pulis and thought "I'd love him as a manager"? All I ever thought was if I had to watch his dross weekly I'd go back to watching my local rugby team instead.

Its not even football is it?