oneBoro Forum

oneBoro Player Ratings 2017/18 Season Review

Apologies this took so long after the end of the season to put up. I've been busy (and holidaying) over the last few weeks. Anyhow, onto the 2017/18 season review (N.B this includes data from league/play off games only):

Mean player ratings:

e4bdvN5.jpg

Patrick Bamford came out top of our player ratings overall.

Leeding the way: Patrick Bamford got the highest individual rating of the season in the home game against Leeds on the 3rd March 2018 with a score of 9.64. There’s snow stopping him!

Worst individual score: Rudy Gestede in the away game against Norwich on 3rd February 2018 with a score of 1.67. Ouch.

Mr Consistent – Adam Forshaw claims the lowest Coefficient of Variation between his scores with 13.0%. Fabio was second with 14.9%

Mr Inconsistent – With a Coefficient of Variation of 38.5% between his ratings, Marcus Tavernier was Boro’s most inconsistent player according to these ratings. Although given his low no of appearances and young age, it is understandable that he had such a high value. Adama Traore came close with a CV of 29.7% between his scores.

Average Team ratings per game:

LZkGCRT.jpg

The season was a bit of a rollercoaster. But as the trend line shows, we got marginally better over the season. This is in contrast to last season when we got steadily worse over the course.

The overall team score for Boro’s 2017/18 Championship season was 5.79. underwhelming, but 0.02 higher that the mean value from last season. Progress!

A Hull of a performance – just like last year, our game with the highest mean team rating came away from home - at Hull this season, with a mean team rating of 7.67

We’ve hit the (Mill)wall – Our worst team performance came at the Den, with a lowly 3.89 average score being recorded by the Boro.

oneBoro MOTM awards:

j3M8rwf.jpg

Adama Traore predictable blew the competition away in terms of MOTM award gained this season. Impressively, he even managed to get the oneBoro MOTM 7 games in a row in January/February!

Always the bridesmaid: Cyrus Christie had the highest average rating of any player not to win a oneBoro MOTM award with 5.94

Minutes/goal comparisons:

RI1uh5n.jpg

Patrick Bamford almost hit the target most strikers aim for which is a goal every 2 games (or 180 minutes). Adama Traore is a fair way down that list (behind Ashley Fletcher even!), however once we add assists into the picture:

S3DWsWH.jpg

Barring the small sample size of Jack Harrison's game time, Adama again blew the rest out of the water, with a goal or assist every 161.8 minutes. Fletcher still worryingly high up that list though.....

The Rise and Rise of Adama Traore:

6duAGPi.jpg

As we've seen above, Traore was a big asset to the team statistically. But this graph, and the trend line especially, shows just how much he's improved through the season (and when Pulis took over)

In fact, under Monk, Traore had an average rating of just 5.03. Under Pulis, this shot up to 6.70. That's a 33% increase! Although, interestingly, Adama has his best game of the season under Monk at Bolton in September.

Talking of Monk v Pulis:

Garry Monk had a mean individual rating of 5.30

Tony Pulis had a mean individual rating of 5.51

Craig Liddle had an individual rating of 6.15

The average team rating under Garry monk was: 5.72

The average team rating under Pulis was: 5.89

The rating under Liddle was 6.01

So, between Monk and Pulis, Craig Liddle was our best manager of the season (But we did ever so slightly preferred Pulis to Monk in the hotseat.)

Ever present 

Darren Randolph completed all 48 league games in full, playing 4320 minutes (plus stoppages). Ben Gibson was hot on his heels, missing only 90 minutes of the season.

oneBoro preferred team based on the highest ratings in the 2017/18 season (with players playing in their normal positions and with a usual formation):

JGjYLk6.png

Daniel Ayala surprisingly missing out here as Gibson and Fry both got higher average scores than him.

• Like 1

Great post! Interesting to see that both Bamford and Britt would have surpassed the 20 goal mark if they'd played the full season. I really hope we stick with one of them next season, just can't see Gestede being as effective...

Great work BU.

I do think the Jack Harrison assist stat is wrong though - Britt's goal against Burton and Bamford's header against Ipswich were both Harrison assists.

Thanks all. It did take a fair while longer than I thought it would!

Great work BU.

I do think the Jack Harrison assist stat is wrong though - Britt's goal against Burton and Bamford's header against Ipswich were both Harrison assists.

I just got the stats of whoscored so blame them :p

Great work BU.

Harrison didn't directly assist the Britt goal, did he? Thought he hit the bar with a shot and it rebounded to Britt?

Great work BU.

Harrison didn't directly assist the Britt goal, did he? Thought he hit the bar with a shot and it rebounded to Britt?

This is why I hate assist stats. Because of Harrison's contribution to that goal, Britt couldn't miss, yet he doesn't get credited with an assist?

Great work BU.

This is why I hate assist stats. Because of Harrison's contribution to that goal, Britt couldn't miss, yet he doesn't get credited with an assist?

True, like you can't even argue it wasn't his intention to assist Britt because people get assists when their shots deflect off another player on their team into the goal.