oneBoro Forum

Belgium v England (3rd Place Play-Off)

I think England need and deserve a thread of their own instead of being lost in a general World Cup thread.

Really looking forward to this now. Lets hope the Football Gods are with us this time. Good luck to all and especially Sir Gareth.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much looking forward to this one. Spend the last two years being completely apathetic toward it, but the youthful squad is something I've wanted to see for over a decade now.

No pressure on us I think. We should get out of the group, but I'm seeing this as a stepping stone to us doing better in Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022.

Be interesting to see who gets the nod. Young or Rose at RWB? Maguire or Cahill at the heart of the CBs? Dier me Alli? Alli and Henderson? Or will we go with Dier and Henderson to prepare a more solid holding mid partnership for the tougher opposition?

I reckon Southgate will go with:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Cahill

CB - Stones

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Young

CM - Alli

CM - Dier

AM - Lingard

ST - Kane

ST - Sterling

Very much looking forward to this one. Spend the last two years being completely apathetic toward it, but the youthful squad is something I've wanted to see for over a decade now.

No pressure on us I think. We should get out of the group, but I'm seeing this as a stepping stone to us doing better in Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022.

Be interesting to see who gets the nod. Young or Rose at RWB? Maguire or Cahill at the heart of the CBs? Dier me Alli? Alli and Henderson? Or will we go with Dier and Henderson to prepare a more solid holding mid partnership for the tougher opposition?

I reckon Southgate will go with:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Cahill

CB - Stones

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Young

CM - Alli

CM - Dier

AM - Lingard

ST - Kane

ST - Sterling

Reading between the lines, I think that Delle Allí will start ahead of Henderson. I think that one of the reasons that Kane was suddenly made captain is because he’s the first name on the team sheet.

Sir Gareth was talking up Alli yesterday and seeing as the players already know who’s in and who’s not, I think Henderson will be on the bench.

I've been excited ever since I heard that Dier and Henderson would not be playing at the same time. Remembering the Euro's with Sturridge on the wing and Rooney as a centre mid makes me shudder...

We have an attacking lineup that will hopefully play some fluid football. It's been tiring watching England's sluggish build up play, showing little ambition going forward, that's what I've come to associate with the "Golden Generation".

I think it will be:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Stones

CB - Maguire

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Rose

DM - Dier

CM - Alli

CM - Lingard

AM - Sterling

ST - Kane

Midfield and up front I'm pretty certain about. Only question for me is over who plays LWB, I think he'll go for that left-foot balance against Tunisia.

I think it will be:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Stones

CB - Maguire

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Rose

DM - Dier

CM - Alli

CM - Lingard

AM - Sterling

ST - Kane

Midfield and up front I'm pretty certain about. Only question for me is over who plays LWB, I think he'll go for that left-foot balance against Tunisia.

That's the team I'd pick but I think he'll pick Cahill, Young and Henderson rather than Maguire, Rose and Dier.

I think it will be:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Stones

CB - Maguire

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Rose

DM - Dier

CM - Alli

CM - Lingard

AM - Sterling

ST - Kane

That's the team I'd pick but I think he'll pick Cahill, Young and Henderson rather than Maguire, Rose and Dier.

I thought it was being pretty much reported last night that Maguire was in. (Maybe I misunderstood what they were saying) - I know that the whole team isn't announced yet, but they seemed to be saying that Maguire was starting.

I think it will be:

GK - Pickford

CB - Walker

CB - Stones

CB - Maguire

RWB - Trippier

LWB - Rose

DM - Dier

CM - Alli

CM - Lingard

AM - Sterling

ST - Kane

I thought it was being pretty much reported last night that Maguire was in. (Maybe I misunderstood what they were saying) - I know that the whole team isn't announced yet, but they seemed to be saying that Maguire was starting.

Oh right I didn't know that, I'd pick him because he can bring the ball out from the back and he's also a threat from set pieces.

Big fan of Maguire from his England performances so far, likes to get himself up the pitch - which is essential in a back 3 - rock solid in the air as well as in tackles, good passing range and can beat a man. His big weakness is turning like a tanker and a complete lack of pace but Walker and Stones can hopefully make up for that...

It's still very much a meh for me...

Anyway, thought the spine of the team was pretty much nailed on?

Pickford

Stones

Maguire

Walker

Tripper

Rose/Young

Henderson

Alli

Rashford/Lingard

Sterling

Kane

Been enjoying the tournament so far and can't wait for England to get started tonight. I'm not too bothered what the team is I just hope we play with a bit of freedom and confidence.

Pretty much this. If it’s not lads from Boro then I don’t really care who it is, just want to see them play without fear.

I can't shake the feeling that Pickford is going to commit an absolute howler. Maybe not tonight, but at some point in this tournament.

I can't shake the feeling that Pickford is going to commit an absolute howler. Maybe not tonight, but at some point in this tournament.

Hope not! He's in my fantasy team