oneBoro Forum

World Mental Health Day.

Today is world mental health day and if the statistics are to be believed then most of us on this forum would have experience of it whether its ourselves or a loved one.

It is such an important topic and I'd urge anyone who is struggling with their mental health in any way to seek support. Whether it's talking to a loved one, a health professional, a mental health organisation or even a stranger on a football forum it is so important and beneficial to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Also if you suspect someone you know or love is struggling let them know you are there to talk, break down any barriers that they may believe are there.

My inbox is open for anyone on here that may be suffering, even if it's just to talk.

• Like 1

So many don't open up to talk about it. Just even accepting it as a thing that exists within your life and (sometimes more importantly) allowing others to accept it as part of you, even if not properly treating it, is a big jump and can make a significant change.

I've been dealing with mine since I was a teenager, sometimes it is utter hell, even now in a place where I'm much more comfortable to talk about it. I've been on and off medication, been to see therapists a couple of times, once just after it started just before leaving secondary school and once just a couple of years ago when I was in a really horrible place with my career. I think it's just as important as accepting and looking after yourself physically and both things certainly feed off one another too.

One thing I find some comfort in, even if you're not into opening up to other people about it, try listening to The One You Feed podcast. It covers all sorts of issues and I think it's been going on for a few years now. It's well worth a listen, even if just to hear the same parable repeated to you over and over again at the start of each episode and listen to people's thoughts on it:

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at battle.

One is a good wolf which represents things like kindness, bravery, and love. The other is a bad wolf, which represents things like greed, hatred, and fear.

The grandson stops and thinks about it for a second then he looks up at his grandfather and says, “Grandfather, which one wins?”

The grandfather quietly replies, “The one you feed.”

Great thread.

I think the hardest thing for me was just how over bearingly convincing my brain can be when it's telling me things I objectively know aren't true.

I've been to the bottom of the barrel a couple of times, am on medication & just recently finished High Intensity CBT therapy. Every day is a struggle (but I'm doing much better at the minute)

Depression (or 'low mood' as they like to call it now) is an absolute nightmare, couple that with some extreme social anxiety and you've got a nice little stew going.

Still, techniques to calm myself down help, and I'm pushing boundaries to create confidence so that's all good, but it's going to be a life long battle and a struggle every day not to slip back into the bad place.

My inbox is always open too; I'm always willing to listen to anyone about anything. Much love to all of you.

Serious respect for both Wilson and Brunners. Fair play to you lads for sharing your personal situations. I wish you both nothing but happiness and success going forward.

Respect from the other side of the North Sea too!

I had a depression plus fear of dying mixed together - Everything felt pointless cause some day you die, so what was it worth to put an effort in anything?.. 20 years ago. Took me 8 months to get through and I have been stronger and much more focused on the good stuff ever since!

What helped me, was to surrender, look at it for what it was... Let it be there.. Let it come .. just let it do, what it got to do, without me putting focus in anxiety ....

One day you die, but all other days you don't ... And it's about getting max out of the days we have! ...

My inbox is open as well... I would gladly tell more about the way I got better .. (not to be a wise guy, but to tell all, that there is light at the end of the tunnel .. and it's not a freight train) ;)

To be honest most people who know mental health will probably not be surprised to know I have and still do suffer from PTSD and depression, Im only saying that as I believe my posting may reflect that sometimes. Its a horrible illness to suffer from with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel for some people, I was surprised to see this thread up but I shouldn't be - following the Boro at times can destroy anyone's mental health :-)

I have spent the last year coming off all medication and am currently living day to day like everyone else, I hope everyone suffering from this condition and related ones have the strength to fight through it and keep going.

Total respect to those opening up within this thread and like others I hope that if there is a light at the end of the tunnel that you will find it.

Whilst not having any issues personally I can relate due to grandchildren related syndromes.

@BeardySmog and SmogDane thank you for your open invitations"

On a lighter side we are all mad to get so worked up about the Boro and maybe we should not take it to heart posts that may annoy you